A ground cover that is typically used as an erosion control and roadside plantings
- Best time to plant:
- Spring, Summer, Late Fall
- Do not plant early fall (fall planting should be after October 15th so the seed will remain dormant until spring)
- Apply lime to the area
- A pH of 6.5-7.0 is preferred
- If in doubt about your lawn’s pH level, apply 100 lbs. of lime per 1,000 square feet.
- Apply a fertilizer that is low in nitrogen to the area to be seeded
- Inoculant is a must! Follow directions on the packaging.
- Mix one pound of crown vetch with one pound of annual ryegrass for every 1,000 square feet
- The area can be seeded heavier to speed the rate of establishment
- Cover the seed with 1-1.5” of straw
- 1-2 bales per 1,000 square feet.
Crown vetch grows slowly in the beginning, but the seeded area should be fully covered in 1-2 years. Crown vetch is very invasive, you will want to plan and plant carefully.