Plan Before Planting
Choose the best plants to fit your landscaping. Consider:
- Soil quality (acidic, basic, heavy clay, etc.)
- Drainage (standing water, dry soil, etc.)
- Sunlight (full sun, shade, etc.)
- Estimate the height and diameter while considering the specific plant’s rooting habit.
- The tree/shrub should be installed no more that 10 days after purchase. While still in pot – it should be watered DAILY.
- Dig a hole 2 times the width of the root ball and remove plastic container.
- Amend the soil that was taken out of the hole with any of the following products: Sweet Peet, Compost Manure, or PHC Tree Saver. Be sure to follow the directions on the package for mixing instructions.
- Pre-moisten the hole if the ground is dry (fill bottom of the hole with water and let soak in).
- Loosen the roots if the plant is root bound.
- Place the tree/shrub in the hole with the root ball slightly above ground level and fill in with amended soil, press down lightly.
- Water tree/shrub until soil settles.
- Add 1″ – 2″ of mulch and keep a 3″ ring of uncovered soil around the base to prevent rot.
- For fertilizing, feed your plants in Spring and Fall.
Supplemental watering is absolutely necessary!
- Frequent, light watering is NOT good for plants.
- Mulching around plants helps reduce evaporation and suppresses weeds.
- Always water in the morning. Afternoon watering increases the chance of water loss through evaporation and watering in at night increases the likelihood of mildews, molds and other diseases.
- Make sure the soil around the plant is dry, over-watering can kill!
- For established plants, water once a week during hot weather.
- Deep water large trees/shrubs the first day.
- Saturate the soil at the base of the plant without flooding and leaving standing water. This will ensure the water soaks into the ground all the way to the roots, which is where the water is absorbed. The foliage does NOT have to be watered.
- Continue watering during hot, dry spells and in late fall.
For any questions or concerns, please contact either location to speak with one of our specialists.